Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Doug Bucci

Doug Bucci gave a very trange and interesting lecture yesterday. It was strange to find out so much about his personal life, almost TMI, but it was sort of refreshing to hear someone so emotionally and thoughtfully involved in their work.  He talked about how diabetes plays a major role in his work, and he was very enthusiastic to discuss this with everyone, despite seeming like a total "dork" or weirdo.  He sort of cheered us on as he sypathized about our foundations year, but reassured us that it was totally worth it.  I feel like some people might not be aware of the amazing gifts, knowledge, skills and even new eyes that we are being given as students.  He told us that the faculty would remain with us for the rest of our lives.  I will already never forget certain professors, I can tell.  He told us about his experience in being a painter at first, and then hating it and turning to jewelry, which may have given people a little bit of a clue that its not going to be so easy to be one type of artist.  His words about juggling time, and jobs and family and studio work and things like that were on point too, I am 27, I have had a taste of the real world and know it's not all fun and games.  I was also impressed that he talked about dropping the corporation job and how that made him totally poor, because that displayed what it's like to take a chance.  Dive right into an uncomfortable situation, which I also agreed with.  I have always thought that discomfort to some degree is important, and as he said, means you are learning. His work was interesting, most of it wasn't really my thing, but it was interesting and some of it was actually very effective and I could tell that he felt very strongly about it, which is very important as an artist.  Over all I enjoyed his story and experience as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment