Friday, October 29, 2010

H. John Thompson

This Mr. Thompson seemed like a cool dude.  He comes across as a regular Joe, kindof monotone(maybe that is under the pressure of the great doom eyes of young studenti) but he also seemed really comfortable talking about his art.  And although he was monotone, I sensed a great deal of pride and confidence in him.  He seemed very happy about his work.  What kind of work you ask??  WELL, he seems like a boy from the countryside that probably turned out a little weirder than everyone else.  He uses things like the land and broken down trucks on his farm.  He loves to create spaces in places like a field, where he can show an installation.  For example...his family works a farm, and there has always been this ooooollllllld broken down truck sitting in a field with weeds growing up around it.  Some time after having an extrememly emotional moment with some horses, he subconciously constructed an installation referencing this emotional horse experience.  I thought it was really wonderful that he could talk about an emotional experience almost from a matter of fact stance.  He constructed a small shed/barn structure, took the old broken down truck apart, and wired it and lit it up, and lifting it off the ground to display in the shed structure.  Simple, and honest reference to the life and times of a horse.  It was very interesting, and again...simple to me.  Which I liked.  It wasn't like, "Ohhhh I was going through this terrible dark period in my life and the broken down truck represents my broken soul." Although I would not be totally opposed to that or anything, but I'm pointing out the direct reference to an event and how simplified and also seperated it became.  I like this guy a lot.  He seems to build his studio wherever, or make wherever he is his studio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment